As of 3/27/2020 Gizzie Field is open per the guidelines of the St. Charles Parks Departments. Please practice social distancing at the field and use the Porta-Potty and Pavilion at your own risk. See additional tips below.
However, if you choose to fly it is a “Personal Choice” and should do so at your own risk. If you currently live in St. Louis County / City, it is up to you to decide if you are going to travel through that area into St. Charles. If you choose to fly, see the section below titled, “What Spirits Flyers Should Do” for a few club rules changes and tips to think about. All Club monthly meetings are cancelled until further notices per the guidelines of St. Louis County eliminating gatherings of people. Plus its just plain smart.
An unprecedented time:
I think its time to weigh in on what the Spirits of St. Louis R/C flying Clubs stand is on Coronavirus Disease or more specifically, COVID-19. I have received several emails from our members asking if the field is open. In lieu of answering all of those messages on an individual basis, I am posting this here and will followup with an email blast for members of the club that are NOT avid readers of the blog.
The safety of our members and compliance with the recommendations of the St. Charles Department of Public Health is of the highest priority:Ralph Grant, Spirits President 2020
Member Awareness (St. Charles County):
As of this posing, there are 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the St. Charles area and 329 people currently being monitored. Although this is a very small percentage of people, it is a known fact that this virus can be spread very quickly and the numbers can change dramatically in a 24 hour period.
What everyone needs to know/do:
Although this is getting redundant, the following important habits need to be formed immediately.
- Wash your hands per World Health Organization Guidelines HERE:
- Do Not Touch your face
- If you are unwell, quarantine yourself from others. Stay away from others who are unwell. If you think you have been exposed, self quarantine for 14 days.
- Maintain a 6′ distance from others
- Stay away from large groups of people.
- If you think you have contracted COVID-19 (Fever, Dry Cough, Shortness of Breath, Tired) STAY HOME and call your healthcare professional.
What Spirits Flyers need to know/do:
Here are some tips to make your COVID-19 flying experience at Gizzie Field safer:
- Before going to Gizzie Field, check this website to insure that it is still open.
- Flying at Gizzie Field is your personal choice. This Virus is very deadly to people 60+ years of age or immunodeficient and I don’t have to remind you what the demographic of our club is. We are a bunch of old guys that fly planes! If you feel unwell, stay home and build or fly on the simulator! If you are recovering from a non-contageous advanced illness, do the same!
- Hand washing and Hand sanitizing is the responsibility of each flier. The club will not be providing these materials. The hand wash station is still winterized and will not be put back into commission until further notice. The Porta-Potty will be removed and I would probably limit my use of any bathroom facilities other than your HOUSE right now until this crisis is behind us. I’m pretty confident that you cannot get COVID-19 from a tree so behave as you see fit!
- Although the safest COVID-19 procedure would be to leave the gate open, it will remain farmer-locked/closed to protect the field from vandals when fliers are not present. That being said, you should consider using paper towel barrier or gloves when you open the gate and properly wash/sanitize your hands after opening BEFORE touching your face. PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE AROUND IT.
- Show courtesy to others and stay 6′ from other flyers. Especially refrain from sharing tools, radio’s, helping with another persons airplanes, shaking hands, hugging and kissing (Babe), or other forms of physical contact. This means that we can only safely accomodate 2-3 flyers on the flight-line at a time. Remember, no flying from the pits.
- If you are going to use any of the workstands / electrical outlets / surfaces at the club, it is recommended that you wash/sanitize your hands after use or clean it with your self provided sanitizing wipes etc.
- Group Shared Food is not permitted at the field until further notice. I would recommend you reserve the field for flying activities only and conduct your eating/dining activities at home.
- If you have an incident that requires access to the First Aid Kit, please notify any member of the Board of Directors so that proper measures can be taken to refresh it. If another club member requires first aid assistance, it is your personal choice if you choose to help them. Personally, I won’t let risk of exposure keep me from helping another person in need but that is your choice.
- Until further notice, we will suspend the use of the frequency board and the placement of membership cards on the board. This shouldn’t be a challenge to comply with since most of you don’t follow this rule anyway! Don’t be surprised if other flyers don’t ask to see your card.
- Remember to have fun, be safe, practice social distancing, and fly that new build like you stole it.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me at Ralph@thegrantz.com